Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Mystery Handicraft tool no. 2

(18 Posts)
JimmyBond007 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:30:16

Mystery tools are always interesting, especially when an unfamiliar piece of equipment has a practical purpose that isn't immediately obvious. Identifying how a tool works often comes down to understanding its function and the task it was designed for. For timing-related projects,<a href="https://taptempotool.com/">https://taptempotool.com/</a> is another simple tool for measuring BPM through consistent taps.

Esmay Fri 25-Sept-26 09:25:14

I had something this to pull the wool over the four pins on a French knitting doll toy as a child.
It does look rather lethal though!

Time2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:49:51

Time2

Well when I did a reverse image search Google said:

This item appears to be a Fish Venting Tool, which is a specialized fishing accessory used to relieve gas pressure in the swim bladders of deep-water fish suffering from barotrauma before releasing them.Tool DetailsComponents: Features a hollow stainless-steel needle attached to an ergonomic, non-slip plastic or resin handle with a matching protective cap/cover.Function: Allows trapped gas to escape safely when a caught fish is brought up from deep water too quickly, helping the fish submerge again upon release.

Further to what I entered in the post quoted above, I did the Google image search on the second picture and it came up with something different again, so I did it several more times and it came up with different uses for it each time, so on this occasion I don't think Google is a lot of help!

Time2 Thu 24-Sept-26 22:45:55

Well when I did a reverse image search Google said:

This item appears to be a Fish Venting Tool, which is a specialized fishing accessory used to relieve gas pressure in the swim bladders of deep-water fish suffering from barotrauma before releasing them.Tool DetailsComponents: Features a hollow stainless-steel needle attached to an ergonomic, non-slip plastic or resin handle with a matching protective cap/cover.Function: Allows trapped gas to escape safely when a caught fish is brought up from deep water too quickly, helping the fish submerge again upon release.

4allweknow Thu 24-Sept-26 17:31:01

Looks like it is made from acrylic so quite a modern version whatever it is.

cc Thu 24-Sept-26 16:43:39

mumagain

It’s a sewing awl - for either making holes or widening holes that are already in fabric

Maybe for piercing leather or making holes when sewing sails?

mumagain Thu 24-Sept-26 13:43:37

It’s a sewing awl - for either making holes or widening holes that are already in fabric

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Sept-26 09:09:13

Just done a reverse-image search...

This object is a Kubotan self-defense tool that features a concealed hidden needle or spike hidden inside its twist-off handle.

Key Characteristics:
The Body: The black, ridged, wavy design serves as an ergonomic grip designed for striking pressure points or escaping an emergency.
The Mechanism: The tool splits into two pieces, revealing a sharp, slender metallic needle or spike when unthreaded or uncapped.
Common Uses: It is typically sold or carried as a discreet, pocket-sized tactical keychain weapon or window-breaker tool.

Hope this helps!

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 24-Sept-26 08:52:05

Maybe someone's sweetcorn grew short & fatgrin

Lati Thu 24-Sept-26 05:31:00

More information about the item: the casing is made out of hard plastic. The middle metal part is connected to the other plastic part and the other end of the metal part has a screw thread which can be screwed into the other black part.
Also thank you for all the answers.

CarrotTop Thu 24-Sept-26 02:17:51

I can't see the end of the metal part, which I think is the crucial point (no pun intended) of the tool. At first I thought it was a mini Philips head screwdriver, but what would be the point (sorry) of the fancy casing? The only thing I can think of is some kind of glove-maker's tool. The casing could stretch a finger out and the metal rod could press out the seams and the end points (I'll get me coat)....

Redhead56 Thu 24-Sept-26 01:34:11

Looks like a nib for ink just a guess

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Sept-26 01:11:42

If it's roughly the size of a biro it's probably a self-defence gadget - for stabbing people.
Can't remember the name.
Don't carry it about as that would be illegal!

Elegran Wed 23-Sept-26 22:19:38

The outsides of these look similar Google image search results

Elegran Wed 23-Sept-26 22:14:37

Casing in fabric, I must add.

Elegran Wed 23-Sept-26 22:13:31

That shaping on the outside would make it easier to twist-push into a narrow tube. Perhaps you could skewer elastic on the inner point, push the two parts together, then push the tool through a casing?

Graphite Wed 23-Sept-26 21:40:59

I’m not convinced it is a tool. It looks a bit like a bradawl or a gimlet but why does it have a fine thread all the way along?

Does it actually screw the two pieces of the black casing together or just hold them in place?

Why is the casing shaped as it is, what is it made from and how big is it?

I wondered if it was a shoe horn or some kind of massage tool.

Lati Wed 23-Sept-26 11:00:02

Hello everyone. Last time I had a question about a mystery handicraft tool and I got a lot of help so i've decided to ask again. Does anybody know what this tool is used for? This time I'm not even sure if it's handicraft related.