Gransnet forums

AIBU

Save Trump at all costs?

(83 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 12-Aug-26 11:51:38

So, President Trump was secretly moved to another plane in Ankara as there was a potential threat to Airforce-1 from Iran..
What about the others on Airforce-1? Presumably they were considered to be expendable.
If it had been shot down Trump would have been as guilty as the perpetrators for setting them up as a target.

imaround Mon 24-Aug-26 16:41:13

Jim Jones, Charles Manson, David Koresh, Warren Jeffs.

MayBee70 Thu 20-Aug-26 23:57:24

Something on instagram tonight pointed out that if Harris had been elected and done a fraction of the things Trump has done the country would be up in arms about it. Has anyone ever normalised abnormal things in the way that Trump has?

imaround Thu 20-Aug-26 16:43:35

His approval rating is 33%. He was elected by 1/3 of the registered electorate. True MAGA are getting more MAGA actually, based on the various Primary results the last few months.

It's the other 2/3 of us he needs to worry about. And he is, or else he wouldn't be sending his armed goons to polling places.

Sadly though, I less the Dems get a Super Majority a la Regan, he won't be impeached. We need to get enough that Congress can clip his wings and they take their Constitutional powers back.

Lesley60 Tue 18-Aug-26 15:07:36

Surely the American people wouldn’t vote for him again, I’m sure it must only be redneck racists that support him, they must be able to see he’s a Mentally ill narcissistic ,racist, misogynistic warmonger

Lesley60 Tue 18-Aug-26 14:52:40

Yes I agree but he’s such a narcissist only his life matters and he would have wriggled out of any blame like he has wriggled out of everything else.
I just can’t understand how he hasn’t been impeached with all the chaos he has caused around the world, after all Clinton was for a lot less in my opinion

Crumbly159 Mon 17-Aug-26 19:13:20

Tuliptree

Actually was there really a security issue? It’s exactly the sort of publicity stunt the WH would pull isn’t it?

Just as much a publicity stunt as the "assassination" attempts.

Everybody but everybody is a potential sacrifice in the world of liar, coward and Vietnam draft-dodger Trump.

grumppa Mon 17-Aug-26 18:12:43

And according to the BBC he is threatening to bomb US ally Oman if it "gets in the way" over his Iran deal.

Surely grounds for the men in white coats to be sent in?

Casdon Mon 17-Aug-26 17:15:49

From HIGNFY
Andy Burnham 'exchanged texts' with someone pretending to work for Donald Trump but 'quickly became suspicious', after receiving two coherent messages in a row.

MrsMatt Mon 17-Aug-26 15:31:57

Dickens

MrsMatt

In Trumps head everyone else is dispensable and replaceable, because he is perfect and doing such a wonderful job.

I have never hated someone so much in my life as that man.

I have never hated someone so much in my life as that man.

From what I can gather - his upbringing and family environment was such that his subsequent behaviour would almost be guaranteed. Of course, I'm only going on what info is available to everyone. I try to not hate but with him it's a bit of a challenge.

I despise more those who, surely, know his weaknesses and awful narcissism, but choose to - not only support him - but attempt to shout down anyone who opposes him, to protect their own interests... those crowding around him in the Oval Office during morning-prayers, as if he is some Deity, fawning over him whilst he sits there with his pursed lip and that truculent look he's adopted.

And those in the public arena who must be aware of his awful attitude towards women, some ex-servicemen, etc, but because he derides the same people they do, are more than happy to cheer him (quite literally) on.

Because, without those people, he would not have the power that he holds and would not be allowed to do the things he does.

I've mentioned this before, there was at some point some mass-produced (hopefully, a 'limited' edition) of T-shirts with the legend, "you can grab my pussy anytime Mr President" and these were proudly sported at one of the numerous rallies by middle-aged women. Did they not understand that Trump's fetish is for young women? It's their daughters he'd be more interested in.

Oh America, I think occasionally that you should be given the grace to see yourselves as others might see you. sad

Absolutely Dickens.

Listening to him the other day, [why I put myself through that is beyond me hmm, he reminded me so much of the comic character 'Billy Bunter'. Anyone else remember him?

According to Google, 'Billy Bunter's defining characteristics are his naive greed, self indulgence and overwight appearance. He is in many respects an obnoxious anti-hero. Besides his gluttony, he is obtuse, lazy, racist, nosy, deceitful, pompous and conceited, but is blissfully unaware of his defects. In his own mind he is a handsome, talented and naturally aristocratic young man surround by uncouth beasts.'

Apart from the 'young man' I would say it perfectly portrays Trump. grin

Menopauselbitch Sun 16-Aug-26 14:53:18

sodapop

Yet we continue to be surprised by the flagrant self interest of this man. Unbelievable.

So no other President has ever done this ?

MayBee70 Fri 14-Aug-26 14:46:35

Maremia

Next time I travel by plane I am taking my own sandwiches.
😫

If ever you’ve worked in in flight catering you would anyway…

imaround Fri 14-Aug-26 14:31:37

Maremia

Next time I travel by plane I am taking my own sandwiches.
😫

And now I am laughing while drinking my coffee. grin

Gango Fri 14-Aug-26 14:19:46

🙄

Delila Fri 14-Aug-26 13:39:22

…but this is Trump’s secret service.

Gango Fri 14-Aug-26 11:26:21

Same secret service making the decisions. Laying blame where it doesn’t belong just because you don’t like a person isn’t rational.

Maremia Fri 14-Aug-26 09:49:26

The other people were told the truth.
This time with this President, they were not told the truth.
The situations do not compare.
Truth v deceit.
With this President, deceit wins.
Sums him up

Tuliptree Fri 14-Aug-26 09:34:39

Gango

Because that would be a balanced and rational position to take.
Too many of these posts are just irrational emotional rants

Seriously? Remind me, who is President atm? Who has helped to bring huge economic damage and danger to this country and many others as a result of his demented delusional behaviour? And I’m supposed to care about something BC did 20+ years ago. Who’s being irrationsl? ?

NotSpaghetti Fri 14-Aug-26 09:12:21

Gango

I don’t suppose any of you are going to complain about the time Clinton did a similar thing on Pakistan flight in 2000

It wasn't the same thing.
I think I posted about this earlier. There was a briefing/announcement before.
No civilians were in this position.

Gango Fri 14-Aug-26 07:52:10

Because that would be a balanced and rational position to take.
Too many of these posts are just irrational emotional rants

Tuliptree Fri 14-Aug-26 07:42:23

Gango

I don’t suppose any of you are going to complain about the time Clinton did a similar thing on Pakistan flight in 2000

Er no why should we?

Gango Fri 14-Aug-26 07:35:32

I don’t suppose any of you are going to complain about the time Clinton did a similar thing on Pakistan flight in 2000

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 23:59:42

I read that this is actually clickbait These posts are generated across several platforms by specific types of accounts and online communities such as ​YouTube "AI Content Farms".

I now think it's probably fake.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 23:35:46

Thanks, CLG

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 13-Aug-26 20:55:44

NotSpaghetti, they were from an American social media site. I will attempt to locate them .

Dickens Thu 13-Aug-26 20:20:45

It's hard to know for sure - but I think he might be pitching for 4-more-years.

You can see that he's declined physically since taking office; during meetings, summits, etc, he has that look sometimes that you see in elderly people sitting in care-homes in front of the TV after a good lunch, needing a nap... distant and unfocused.

Of course, he appears to be up half the night, ranting on Truth-Social - possibly even doom-scrolling to see what's being said about him. It's addictive, I do it myself when worry or intrusive thoughts keep me awake(!).

If his diet is as limited as is suggested - fast-food and diet-cokes - on top of all this, I'd imagine those close to him are witnessing his decline and probably already in a 'medieval' type huddle...

His poll ratings are allegedly slumping - but I believe it would be wrong to write off the support he still has among die-hards. He has that appeal to the underdog who feel that both they and their nation have been taken advantage of by the ROTW, a victimhood he promotes fairly regularly. I'm almost tempted to believe that they believe the (mutated) Steinbeck quote, "Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited underclass but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires," which could explain why the poor can identify with him so easily in their victimhood.

Couple that with the support from the evangelical Right - much has been said in that regard so I think we're all aware how that works...

... and the mid-terms which are already underway at State-level, are going to be interesting to say the least.

As something of a doom-scroller myself but with only my cat now to hold me to account if I nod-off, I've seen the rumours about his alleged incontinence, and even the alleged real reasons for it which, if true, would shake much of America to its core if they became known... but, you know, social-media. conspiracy-theorists, Facebook, content-creators, etc, etc, really do have to be taken with a good pinch of salt. He might well have digestive problems, given his alleged diet and unorthodox lifestyle, but I don't really want to contribute to the 'poop' news scoops on this.

As long as he can draw the crowds in sufficient numbers I think he'll continue to be wheeled-out. The poll results don't look encouraging tho' do they? However, what concerns me - and I had to look this up - is the blind spots in modern-day polling... The "Non-Response" Bias: Certain voter demographics - especially conservative or populist voters - are statistically far less likely to answer calls from unknown pollsters or participate in surveys. The "Shy Voter" Effect: Some voters hesitate to share their true opinions with a human interviewer. Changing Habits: The mass abandonment of landlines and widespread use of spam-blocking apps make finding a truly random sample harder than ever, forcing pollsters to lean on online panels that might have internal demographic biases.
So who knows? hmm